Skill 14. Perform Modified Passive Range of Motion (PROM) for One Knee and One Ankle
1. Explains procedure, speaking clearly, slowly and directly, maintaining face-to-face contact whenever possible.
2. Privacy is provided with a curtain, screen, or door.
3. Instructs client to inform candidate if pain is experience during exercises.
4. Supports leg at knee while performing range of motion for knee.
5. Bends the knee and then returns leg to client's normal position (extension/flexion)
(at least 3 times unless pain is verbalized)
6. Supports foot and ankle close to the bed while performing range of motion for ankle.
7. Pushes/pulls foot toward head (dorsiflexion) and pushes/pulls foot down, toes point down (plantar flexion)
(at least 3 times, unless pain is verbalized).
8. While supporting the limb, moves joint gently, slowly and smoothly through the range of motion, discontinuing exercises if client verbalizes pain.
9. Signaling device is within reach and bed is in low position.
10. After completing skill, wash hands.