Skill 3: Assist to Ambulate Using Transfer Belt
1. Transfer belt (or gait belt)
2. Non-skid footwear
1. Explains procedures, speaking clearly, slowly, and directly, maintaining face-to-face contact whenever possible.
2. Before assisting to stand, client is wearing shoes.
3. Before assisting to stand, bed is at a safe level.
4. Before assisting to stand, checks and or/locks bed wheels.
5. Before assisting to stand, client is assisted to sitting position with feet flat on the floor.
6. Before assisting to stand, applies transfer belt securely over clothing/gown.
7. Before assisting to stand, provides instructions to enable client to assist in standing including prearranged signal to alert client to begin standing.
8. Stands, facing client positioning self to ensure safety of candidate and client during transfer. Counts to three (or says prearranged signal) to alert client to begin standing.
9. On signal, gradually assists client to stand by grasping transfer belt on both sides with an upward grasp (candidate's hands are in upward position), and maintain stability of client's leg.
10. Walks slightly behind, and to one side of client a distance of ten (10) feet, while holding onto the belt.
11. After ambulation, assists client to bed and removes transfer belt.
12. Signaling device is within reach and bed is in low position.
13. After completing skill, wash hands.