Skill 19. Provides Perineal Care (Peri-Care) for Female
1. basin (2)
2. washcloth (2)
3. hand towels (2)
4. disposable pads (2)
6. Soap and water
7. hampers (2)
1. Explains procedure, speaking clearly , slowly and directly, maintaining face-to-face contact whenever possible.
2. Privacy is provided with a curtain, screen, or door.
3. Before washing, checks water temperature for safety and comfort and asks client to verify comfort of water.
4. Puts on clean gloves before washing perineal area.
5. Places pad/linen protector under perineal area before washing.
6. Exposes perineal area while avoiding overexposure of client.
7. Applies soap to wet washcloth.
8. Washes genital area moving from front to to back, while using clean area of the wash cloth for each stroke.
9. Using clean washcloth, rinses soap from genital area, moving from front to back, while using clean area of washcloth for each stroke.
10. Dries genital area moving from front to back, with towel.
11. After washing genital area, turns to side, then washes and rinses rectal area moving from front to back using a clean area of washcloth for each stroke. Dries with towel.
12. Repositions client.
13. Empties, rinses, and dries basin.
14. After rinsing and drying basin, places basin in designated dirty supply area.
15. Disposes of used linen in soiled linen container and disposes of linen protector appropriately.
16. Avoids contact between candidate clothing and used linen.
17. After disposing of used linen, and placing used equipment in designated dirty supply area, removes and disposes of gloves (without contaminating self) into waste container and washes hands.
18. Signaling device is within reach and bed is in low position.